Are you a parent converting to Judaism and want to include your child in the process? Having trouble figuring out what videos and books to show your kids? Need a simple program for the entire family?
Darshan Yeshiva is proud to announce our Family Conversion to Judaism Program. This “Judaism for Kids” learning series is a supplement to your adult education, and is a simple, straightforward way to present Judaism to your children. The program is included free in the Chai and Mitzvah level.
The program was designed by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer, an experienced Jewish educator who has spent her career in a variety of roles including education director, curriculum writer, teacher, author and youth director/advisor. At Jewish Learning Venture, she works as Program Director for Special Needs and also as a Program Director for Family Engagement in the Kehillah of Center City.
The program has six learning modules:
- Introduction to our program, where families learn what Darshan Yeshiva is all about
- Holidays and Shabbat
- Basic Hebrew (don’t worry — it’s fun!)
- Jewish Life and Lifecycle, focusing on how Jews celebrate life, as well as important mitzvot (commandments) such as giving charity, kosher, and more
- Jewish History and Text, where families learn about the history of the Jewish people and the sacred writings that give us the nickname “the people of the book”
- A final project where families pick a Jewish subject that matters to them and express themselves creatively
This program is meant for children under thirteen. Adults (defined by our program as anyone thirteen and over) must do their own adult program as well, which is more comprehensive than the family program.
Ready to get started? Make sure you apply for our conversion program and choose either the Chai or Mitzvah level. At least one parent must register at that level to gain access to the family program. Make sure to let us know about your kids in the application!