In this class by Professor Benjamin Kweskin (an international affairs and Middle East expert), you’ll learn the history, foundational ideas of Rastafari through the lens of Judaism. Understand the impact of leaders Haile Selassie and Marcus Garvey, Haile Selassie’s transition from emperor to a messianic figure, and the connection between Rastas and Jews today.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Anyone interested in the ebb and flow between Rasta and Jewish culture
- Students who have taken the Ethiopian Jews: An Overview class
- Anyone interested in interfaith dialogue and comparing/contrasting world religions
What Will I Learn?
- The history and theology of Rastafari as it pertains to Judaism
- The influence Judaism had on Rasta, and the Jewish appreciation for Rasta
What You’ll Receive
- Download of the class podcast on your computer, phone or tablet
- Colorful PDF handout on the topic with great pictures
- Emails about new courses from Darshan Yeshiva